Monday 28 November 2011

Advent Sunday

A happy day, which filled me with joy! The first Sunday of Advent, the promise of Christ, the light of the World, all expressed through music.
In The Hague we sang our monthly Evensong, which was not really an Advent Sunday service, although we walked in singing "Lo He comes with clouds descending", such a beautiful hymn. The Canticles were mainly chanted, which can be of a serene beauty, if sung well. Otherwise it can be monotonous.
Immediately after the service I drove to Haarlem, where I joined the choir for the Advent Carol Service. And that is where I really felt happy and privileged. I was too late for the practice. It was mad anyway, singing Choral Evensong at 5 pm in The Hague and then dashing out to sing the Carol Service which began at 7.30 in Haarlem. But we made it. When the service began, the church was dark and we sang the Mattins Responsery, standing at the back of the church with our candles lit.

Here is a recording of the Advent Mattins Responsery, sung by the choir of St. Pauls Cathedral, London.

We proceeded to the front singing "Come Thou Redeemer of the Earth". Once there the candles of the people in the congregation were lit as well. It was moving and very symbolic, seeing the church become lighter with each lit candle. We sang another carol or anthem before extinguishing the candles again and switching on the light, which ended all feelings of mystery and awe. I like the candles when I am sitting in the congregation. But juggling with a lit candle in one hand, a folder with music in the other, walking in while singing, trying not to trip over my robe negotiating a small step up to my chair, and not setting fire to the robes and hair of the person walking in front of me, is quite an art. One has to know the music by heart, for I find it virtually impossible to read by the light of one dripping and flickering candle, which blinds me as well. The soprano in front of me had a long pigtail. It is still intact, I am glad to add.
The liturgy for the Advent Carol Service is wonderful, the texts from the Old and New Testament, the well-known words of the promise of the Lord, alternated by anthems, carols and hymns. I loved the singing, felt immeasurably happy. Looking at the congregation I wondered how long this will still go on. The church wasn't half full, and most people were elderly. What if they become really old? Will anyone still be interested in this traditional service? I was sorry when the service was over, although the last hymn was wonderful. And of course this is only the beginning of many carol concerts still to come.
One of the most beautiful and well-known Advent hymns we sang is perhaps, "O Come, o Come Emmanuel." Here it is sung by the choir of Clare College, Cambridge



Talking about being happy:
This autumn we have been so lucky. Last weekend I was in Limburg with family. All of Holland was shrouded in thick fog. In Limburg we had three marvellous days of sunshine, the autumn colours still blazing, the temperature so high that we could walk for several hours in just a thick sweater. Everybody seemed to be out, but nevertheless it was quiet. Limburg is the only hilly part of the Netherlands, hardly Dutch I think, embraced by Belgium and Germany, almost too tightly in places. This province is like an appendix, an extra which does not seem to belong although of course it does. The trees were still beautiful, the sun slanting through them. Being able to enjoy that with siblings, walking, talking, sharing delicious food, was another source of happiness. Plus the practical help I was so generously given in my search for another car. Now that my parents have both died, it is important as siblings to keep in contact.
In the grounds of the golf course, late in the afternoon

On a walk from Munstergeleen


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive