Tuesday 10 April 2012

Easter 2012

Easter 2012
Rain, rain, wind, cold and miserable.
But on the positive side, of course a joyful church service on Easter Day in a full church. Our anthem was Vivaldi's Gloria, here sung by the Holland Boys choir.

Later that day we had a reunion of friends from University days. We think we haven't changed, but the pictures show otherwise. I suppose beneath the grey hair and the wrinkles, we are still the same. In the pictures we took we look very happy indeed! We each contributed  a dish and/or drinks to the meal. But the meal wasn't the main thing, which was proven later when it appeared that one of us could not possibly remember, not even after extensive prompting, what he had had for a sweet, although he had enjoyed two helpings because it tasted so nice! Let us presume the conversation was so riveting that the food was of no importance in spite of the time and effort spent on it. We could have saved ourselves the trouble and just served shop bought ice cream instead of homemade tiramisu. Only the tender and deliciously prepared meat was remembered. But of course we are talking about a man, a devoted and confirmed carnivore with no sweet tooth. The most important thing is that we are still all healthy and happy and now enjoying retirement and doing our own thing. It could be so different.

Easter Monday I spent with my Canadian friends. As my garden needs replanting, we went to one of the largest and most interesting nurseries, specializing in trees, shrubs , azaleas and acers, especially Japanese acers.  There was some slight rain, or rather drizzle in the morning, but once walking through the extensive show gardens and selecting my tree, the rain became heavier and the wind increased. I am usually excited when I walk around that nursery in Boskoop, Esveld. Their online catalogue is such a treasure trove and it is amazing what they have on offer. So at home behind the computer I selected which tree I wanted, after asking around and consulting with a friend who is a professional garden designer. The owners and people working at the nursery are very knowledgeable, so they love giving advice. It is a source of happiness, having to select plants for a newly dug border and choosing a tree. It is a luxury, exciting,  and so much better than choosing different flavours of ice-cream.  Even more mouth watering. Especially at this time of year, when the trees are just sprouting leaves. The shape and form of the tree is visible, but for the shape and colour of the leaves one needs to rely on the brochure and use one's imagination. The first year the result might be disappointing, but once a tree is happy it might "blossom"', and show its true splendour and colours. So buying a tree is a joy which lasts forever.
The tree I have bought did not fit in my car, as to my horror I could not flatten the front passenger seat. So we draped it carefully behind the front seats. The top stuck out for a meter, which is the length allowed by law. It is amazing how many laws we have in Holland. Just as well that the nursery owners know them. I did not. The next problem was that there was no good hook to fasten the rope which had to secure the hood of the trunk – boot in English. So it took some creativity before we could set off for my home. To top it all the road to the nursery was under construction and robbed of its surface, full of potholes and very bumpy. Just imagine driving there with a tree sticking out. The dancing hood might damage the trunk of the tree which might be lethal. So it took all my skill to drive smoothly in spite of bumps and "sleeping policemen". Anyway, the road home seemed very long, and it rained and rained and rained and never stopped.
Nevertheless, we made it without any damage to tree or car. The tree is now "resting" in the garden waiting to be planted in a few days' time when supposedly the weather will be better. Besides, I depend on friends. I can't wait to see the variegated leaves of this Liquidambar styraciflua 'Aurea', which is reported to have the most stunning autumn colours.
Courtesy of Esveld's catalogue
We were cold, wet and somewhat muddy in the end, nor does my car look very pristine, but we made it and I can't wait to see this tree develop and grow. It will change that corner of my garden quite a bit. Beneath it I will plant an acer dissectum japonica, with feathery green leaves which will form a sphere or ball like the purper leaved one I bought some 30 years ago and which is a treasured beauty.


1 comment:

  1. I know the Japanese tree. It's lovely. The Vivaldi took me back to college years too.

    I hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive