Saturday 28 July 2012

Appeltern


Appeltern is a village I had never been to. I did not even know where to locate it. But it is well-known for its show gardens and as I won a free ticket, I went there for the day on Thursday, together with one of my neighbours who loves special plants and gardening.  We were lucky as it was a beautiful and very warm summer day, one of the few we have had so far this summer. The area is rural and very quiet. It was surprising not to hear any traffic or see a motorway in the distance. There are some 200 gardens in beautiful parkland with old trees, a restaurant, a shop or where one can buy the most beautiful and special plants, and all this in a large area along the river Maas. We had a wonderful day.


As a finishing touch we found a nice restaurant, Moeke Mooren a bit further along the river with a view of a recreational lake connected with the river, which used to be a sand pit.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad summer finally has come to Holland. It's been a long wait.

    Appeltern- why is that tiny community there? It's the size of Crestone.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive