Friday 31 January 2014

A visit to family and friends

They are not exactly New Year resolutions, but I certainly intend to visit elderly family members and friends more regularly this year. On a sunny day, an exception this winter, a winter hardly worthy of the name, I drive up North expecting to enjoy the scenery. But even before I reach Schiphol, mist changing into fog changes everything into an old black and white photograph, with many shades of grey. No horizon, no high-rise buildings in the distance, but a fading picture. No view of the former IJsselmeer, except for the choppy waves under the high bridge across the lake, where a strong wind from the East threatens to blow us off course. Islands seem far away, the villages built on them not visible. Holland for once seems wide and empty. When I have reached the most northern provinces, an area which I usually love, it isn’t much better. The ploughed fields look drab and dark, the emptiness only broken by rows of bare trees in the distance, as if drawn with a sharp pencil against the grey sky. No clouds, no sun, no colour, just black and grey.
As always I take a detour through the peat and reed lands, via narrow winding dikes flanked on both sides by water. Most of the reeds have been cut, so even here the land is uninteresting. No reeds moving in the wind, like undulating golden waves. Black water, dull yellowy stubbles, no traffic, no cyclists, no flowers and no colour. In one place there are still stacks of reed bundles which make a nice change on this wintry day and break the monotony.

   A bit further on, in a rural area, along a beautiful tree lined country road which I usually love, there are many houses for sale, small farms, several sheltering under thatched roofs, some converted, some authentic, some the worse for wear. Usually I have visions of living there, and I am jealous of those people who actually do! But this time the land can’t inspire me. I realise that what may be attractive in summer and spring, and even covered in snow, must be rather lonely at this time of the year when everything is bare and flat and empty and robbed of colour.
   It is good to be warmly welcomed by my relatives, to share lunch and drinks with them. Once so enterprising and full of life and energy, they seem to have aged visibly in just a year’s time. It is right I made this special trip.
A nice sculpture of villagers chatting in front of the old church of Oldemarkt, a picturesque rural town I pass through on my way to and from my relatives in Vledderveen
I leave late in the afternoon and after a phone call pay an unexpected visit to friends who live en route. Here we luxuriate in front of a welcoming open fire, trying to forget the numbing cold outside, lighting candles against the dark afternoon. We haven’t seen each other for over a year and enjoy each other’s company and stories. We share nibbles and drinks, and a nice home-cooked meal. When I leave, I am filled with warm feelings. It was good to go and see people. We all seem to be too busy. But friendship and family are the most important things in life, although we tend to forget that too easily as life and the daily grind get in the way.

   This grey day has certainly turned into a very happy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive