Saturday 4 April 2015

Geisha

At the beginning of this year there was an interesting exhibition in the “Museum voor Volkenkunde” (Museum for Cultural Anthropology), about the Geisha culture in Kyoto. I know for certain that I wrote a blog post, but strangely enough that has disappeared, so I am trying to post it again. I hope this time it will not miraculously vanish!
A picture of modern geishas in Kyoto

Much which was explained in the exhibition I already knew because of films and books about the subject. I had heard that quite a collection of beautiful silk kimono’s would be on display. As I am very interested in textiles, beautiful silks and woollen fabrics, I decided to go. 


After all, the museum is within walking distance, and with a season ticket for museums in Holland, admission is free. I was not disappointed. The kimono’s were very beautiful indeed. I tried to take pictures, but they were displayed behind glass, so lamps and video screens are reflected in the glass and spoil the pictures a bit. Besides, the models are slowly revolving. Flash was no option and I only had a very small camera. Nevertheless I want to show a few of the pictures here.
 

Some examples of the beautiful silk kimono's


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive