Sunday 31 May 2020

Lock-down 29, Whitsun


Whitsun, May 31st 2020

The beginning of a new week, of a new chapter. Or perhaps the culmination of a positive week. In spite of the churches still being closed, it has indeed been Pentecost for me. I listened to the service recorded by our own church, with former members of the congregation who are now spread all over the world, reading Bible passages, prayers, and other parts of the service, from Canada, Great Britain, Cambodia to mention a few places. This is the true spirit of Pentecost, the connection between all of us through the Spirit. The sermon too was worth listening to and pondering over, and I joined in the singing. To top it all, in the afternoon I sang some hymns in church with a few other choir members for the service of next week. In the morning I watched the service from Hereford Cathedral, and joined in the singing as well. It has been a happy day so far.
In fact, the end of a happy week. I got unexpected visitors, which was a great joy. Friends phoned me, I went out with a another friend, bought food in the farmers’ market in a nearby village, stocked up on British tea and cider, trimmed the hedge between my garden and that of my neighbours which gave me great satisfaction, and got a visit from my stepdaughter with her 25 year old daughter, which was a fantastic surprise. We had delicious cake which they brought with them to celebrate my stepdaughter’s birthday. The weather was beautiful, so we enjoyed it in the garden, the daughter making the tea and pouring it. It was a luxury to have somebody to quietly take things in hand. I could sit down and enjoy the cake and the tea. She has grown into such a nice young woman. She just got her MA, and will be 25 this month. Of course she had great plans to celebrate the two occasions, but unfortunately this can’t be as we are still restricted by the 1,5-meter rule, and to only a limited number of people.
One of our longstanding choir members got married, but we could not sing for her nor be there to celebrate with her. Nevertheless, she looks radiant in the pictures. We would have sung for her, if only…

Sitting in my garden I heard a thud against the window pane and saw that a small bird, a fledgling, had flown against it. I took it in my cupped hands, hoping it was just dizzy and would be fine, but alas, its neck was broken and it quickly died. I stroked its perfectly formed wings, its feathers, so modest but such a work of art. It made me sad for every creature and flower which has to die prematurely, and I cradled it like a tiny baby. It weighed next to nothing.
 An abundance of roses, and this week saw the first waterlilies
So there is a new week ahead of us, a week with widening possibilities as the cafes, museums and restaurants will open at last, be it only for a restricted number of people. Pre booking is necessary, and in case of a museum booking a time slot. But nevertheless, there is hope again. Mid-June church services will resume, also with many restrictions and no singing of the congregation. If there is no new outbreak of the virus, perhaps those restrictions will be lifted soon.
Pentecost has not only given us the Spirit, but also new hope.
 some of the roses


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive