Wednesday 24 June 2020

Lockdown day 99. A visit to the solicitor


A visit to the solicitor
One thing was at least positive, it wasn’t a Zoom or Skype Business meeting, but a meeting in person. As for virtual meetings, people working from home tend to have their office in the most unlikely places, and so offer you an unintentional peephole into their private lives, which seems to take away their authority. Especially the bank employee who showed me his Ikea wardrobe devalued his expertise. But today no handshake, no coffee or tea, but neither a corona questionnaire to fill out, no temperature check and the use of handgel was not compulsory. So far so good, and almost normal. Except for the elevator, which was spacious but only two people at the time were allowed to use it. The two sets of feet, or rather the soles of a pair of shoes in the two utmost corners, fascinated me. It struck me that they were not facing the wall, but in fact each other. How risky in these troubled times! And was that really 1,5 meters, diagonally? Standing there alone, I wondered if I still had to stand on one of those pairs of shoes, or if it was fine to stand in the middle and ignore the stickers.
I was shown into the office and told to sit on the far side of a big, round conference table. My solicitor sat down opposite me, with a Perspex screen between us across the diameter of the table. It looked as if we were going to play a game of table tennis, the only difference being that the net now was a screen.  Well, we talked about the usual things solicitors and their clients talk about, which almost always ends with the signing of important looking documents, full of jargon which only lawyers can interpret. But if I did not understand each and every word or phrase, I know what it all meant and implied. The signing was the interesting part. Instead of handing me the papers, a game of shuffleboard began. The solicitor would slide his papers to me through the gap beneath the screen, with a nice swing of his arm, trying to give it exactly the correct amount of speed to land in front of me. After signing I swung it back. My swing was far better and the documents really gathered speed. In a flash I was back on the bank of a lake in the Rockies, throwing pebbles across the surface of the water. Always fun, although I must admit I am not really good at it. I could not suppress a smile. This process with the documents was repeated a few times, and it was fun. Fun which one usually doesn’t associate with a solicitor’s office. I wondered if I should pocket the pen used to sign he documents. There was a mug full of pens and mine might be contaminated. In the end, I decided against it.
I came out a very happy person. The sun was shining, the air cool and very pleasant, and the world was a good place.
On my way back home I had to get some cash – cash is a rare thing nowadays as we have to pay electronically almost everywhere for fear of passing on the virus via our money -, and buy some bread for lunch. On an impulse I bought a delicious small cake as well, with mousse, and fruit, and a yoghurt cream. After all, what else can one celebrate during this long and endless lock down but a game of shuffleboard?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive