Tuesday 7 August 2012

St. Albans: Day 1


St. Albans Cathedral


The first Evensong for the ECS in St. Albans this week. I haven't had time to see much yet as we practiced all day, but it seems to be a wonderful cathedral, a mixture of Roman and Gothic architecture – with Victorian additions and embellishments, I guess: Flint, bricks, just everything. I am amazed that so many wall paintings are still visible. No iconoclasm? It used to be an abbey, built on a hilltop. The fields around it which are sloping down, are very attractive. I am tired but happy after this first day.

A pity we all live far apart, some in Hertford, some near the cathedral in a hotel or a rented house. I have found a friendly B&B, but unfortunately not within walking distance. The bus stops in front of the door, and going into town isn't a problem. But in the evenings the frequency is just one bus every hour, and after 21.45 the service stops altogether. So when we go out for drinks and a meal after Evensong , I have to watch the time. Waiting at the bus stop on a dark street from 21.30-22.00, isn't fun (the bus was late). However, I have had a wonderful day, and a lovely meal with friends. We really had a nice time socializing in the evening. Tomorrow I will try to drive in as I was told that the car park of the cathedral school can be used during the summer holidays. The money raised, just as much as my bus fare, goes to charity. It will give me more flexibility in the evenings and I will feel safer.
Choir stalls and organ


Shrine of St.Alban
This was our "programme" for Evensong today:
Preces & Responses      Grayston Ives
Psalm:                         72 (Cooper)
Canticles:                     Wood in E flat no 1
Anthem:                       O nata lux – Morten Lauridsen
Hymn:                          CP 248 (Carlisle)

The anthem is very moving, but I think we did better at the rehearsal than during Evensong, which is a pity. Loss of concentration? Too tired? Well, we still have the rest of the week – but no more Lauridsen.





1 comment:

  1. My connection is too slow to enjoy this beautiful piece. Thanks...I am reading your blog indeed.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive