Saturday 11 August 2012

St.Albans: day 5


A long day and for many of us a much dreaded day. For today is the day of the viols, the Orlando Gibbons Canticles and anthem. The music isn't thoroughly known by any of us, a few new singers joined us today for the second part of the week, so the balance of the choir has changed, and we have no real alto soloists among us. Besides, the viols are not very audible. We have to watch the beat of the conductor, which means we look away from the viols which doesn't help.
Anyway, it was very nice to see some friends from Holland join us for the second part of our stay here. But the practices weren't very promising. And indeed, the music at the service was a mess, I think. People in the congregation thought otherwise, but we certainly messed up in many places although we did not miss entrances and ended together. However, there is a lot in between.... I am glad this day is over. Viols may be nice, but I have never liked them at ECS Evensongs. The Gibbons pieces are great in themselves, and even prayerful, but I think only very strong and well-trained voices should sing this music. And not before lots of practice, so that one knows the music almost by heart and does not have to count the beat at all as we did so desperately.
This morning did not start so well as my hairdryer died on me after producing a bang followed by some nasty smelling smoke. With my hair washed and wet I had to make do with a hairdryer which I can only use with a brush in one hand and a dryer in the other, quite difficult. So at lunchtime I went out to Boots to buy what I needed, a new dryer with a brush attached to it. A visit to the very exclusive and tempting cook shop next door was a treat. I did not leave empty handed. After a visit to the Bank there was just enough time to eat my home made sandwiches and my fruit on a bench in the cathedral close. It has been a beautiful day today, warm and sunny, so all the garden seats in the shade were occupied. But England always has those large trees dotted across parks and fields, which with their full crown of leaves provide lovely shade, be it for cattle or people. Here it was people.

After Evensong, which ended at 6 o'clock, We were invited for drinks by the Dean, who lives in a wonderful house hidden behind a wooden gate in a red brick wall covered in creepers. True to the surroundings the door has the form of a gothic window. His garden was very interesting, with espalier fruit trees against the walls, amongst those a peach tree and an apricot, vegetable beds, even an asparagus bed, a small and very natural looking pond surrounded by flowers, and over the walls a view of the towering cathedral. It was a magic spot.

I was invited to dinner by some newly arrived friends, so had another Thai meal in very good company.
We caught up on news – and of course exchanged some gossip!
Today's Evensong:
Preces & Responses: Smith 5-part
Psalms:38
Canticles: Orlando Gibbons 2nd service
Anthem: Great Lord of Lords – Gibbons
Hymn: NEH 432


1 comment:

  1. The Dean's home view of the cathedral is magnificent. I hope the Thai food lit your palate.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive