Sunday 8 March 2020

City-Pier-City


Sunday March 8th
A dreary day again, rainy and dark. I am glad my new fence is standing! And how lucky we were yesterday with the weather!
Usually I go to church in The Hague where I sing in the choir every Sunday. The trouble is that big events nowadays are always organized on a Sunday. Are we so secularized that it is assumed that is what we do on a Sunday, play sports, run marathons? I am not against such events, except that they close off whole areas of a town or city, the main and through roads as well. Today is the City-Pier-City Run, which partly goes through the area and the streets where our church is situated. It means that I can reach the church as I have to be there early for choir practice, but that I am not allowed out! So, I have to stay in the area till late in the afternoon and am not allowed to drive home! I think it is just too bad. The public roads should be open at all times, not closed on a whim. I am by no means the only person whom it causes problems. Our church is a regional church, so many people come from further away and need to come by car, or train. Also trams – streetcars – and busses either don’t go at all, or take different routes so that in fact the church can only be reached on foot or by bike. A no go for me, living in another town, 30 minutes by car. This might be an annual event, but last year we were cut off twice due to some other event. Why should the rights of sports people be more important than my right to attend the church I belong to?  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive