Wednesday 18 March 2020

Quarantine 3


The advantage of our times is the internet. Often seen as negative, now it is a blessing. For at least life can partly go on for some of us because of it. It helps to have social contacts when we have to practice social distancing, a rather novel combination of words. Skype and other programmes like that are a very positive medium and will save us from utter isolation.
I also had to cancel a holiday apartment and a flight. No need to go to a travel agent, for I could do it online. As a matter of fact, I haven’t crossed the threshold of a travel agency for ages.
Today I had an appointment with a Bank about some financial issues, which also took place online. I must say I hate having appointments like that online. I like to be able to hand over papers, to see a person’s reactions, and not to have to send pdf’s which I have to collect via my DigiD. It means logging into bank accounts, into Skype for business which first has to be downloaded, into a site I can only get into with my DigiD and the password for that. Logging into bank accounts is a nightmare, as one needs a smartphone as well. It is juggling with a phone, and a laptop. A screen between the bank employee and me is not ideal, but in the circumstances, it was a great solution. The bank employee also worked from home, and as the schools are closed, he had to open the door for his children and their friends during our interview. So this time it had advantages for both of us, and neither of us had to travel for this meeting. Such interviews or meetings always involve travel, since most banks are closed and they are few and far between. This in contrast to countries like England where you’ll find banks on almost every corner.
 
Relieved after a session with the bank that went well in spite of my reluctance to have an interview online, I went out to the market for vegetables, fruit and nuts. The farmers market is still taking place, but that might change any day now. I enjoyed the sun and the fresh air and went on to take a look at the brand new and beautiful garden centre which opened its doors yesterday. Not with an impressive act as planned, but quietly as gatherings of people have to be avoided. It is indeed a beautiful, spacious and large garden centre, and I treated myself to some frivolous looking tulips as well as pansies in different shades of blue and purple to fill the empty tubs with some happy colours. And a clematis to plant against my new and still rather bare looking garden fence. I hope they will not close this garden centre. It doesn’t attract many people yet, so it is spacious and social contact can easily be avoided, even at the checkout, as payment is by card only. No infected money changing hands please!
Let us hope for a beautiful day tomorrow, so that I can do some uplifting work in the garden.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive